Angry at what was perceived as neglect by the county government, residents of Pinellas began a push to secede from Hillsborough. Petersburg concert venue Jannus Live (formerly known as "Jannus Landing") memorializes the flight.They succeeded, and on January 1, 1912 Pinellas County came into being. The early 1920s saw the beginning of a land boom in much of Florida, including Pinellas.After the war many of these same soldiers remembered their war time experience in Pinellas well, and returned as tourists or residents.With the end of the Second World War, Pinellas would enter another period of rapid growth and development.Brothers James and Daniel Mc Mullen were members of the Confederate Cow Cavalry, driving Florida cattle to Georgia and the Carolinas to help sustain the war effort. Marston served in the 9th Florida Regiment as a part of the Appomattox Campaign. Otherwise the peninsula had virtually no significance during the war, and the war largely passed the area by.
During the war, the area's tourist industry collapsed, but thousands of recruits came to the area when the U. Hundreds of girls from the area's most prominent families formed a group called the Bomb-a-Dears, holding dances, socializing with recruits, and selling war bonds.
After trading hands multiple times between the British and the Spanish, Spain finally ceded Florida to the United States in 1821, and in 1823 the U. The very next year Odet Philippe became the first permanent, non-native resident of the peninsula when he established a homestead near the site of the Tocobaga village in Safety Harbor.
It was Philippe who first introduced both citrus culture and cigar-making to Florida.
By the early 18th century the Tocobaga had been virtually annihilated, having fallen victim to European diseases from which they had no immunity, as well as European conflicts.
Later Spanish explorers named the area Punta Piñal (Spanish for "Point of Pines" or "Piney Point"). In 1834 much of west central Florida, including the Pinellas peninsula (then known simply as West Hillsborough), was organized as Hillsborough County.Others distilled moonshine in the County's still plentiful woods.